DIPLOMA IN MEDICAL LABORATORY TECHNOLOGY
Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology was established to train graduates who will begin their career in Medical Laboratory Technology . As stated in the objectives of conducting the course, the faculty design the course in order to produce graduates who are competent in the field of medical laboratory technology by leveraging the knowledge and skills of the latest technology.
In line with this, the faculty has identified a number of specific employment sectors that could be met by graduates from the Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology. The selection of medical laboratory sector is based on the need of trained workers and labor deficit in this sector which is expected to last into 2010 ( Reference : "The outlook for stocks and Manpower Requirements Members of Allied Health Sciences”, Training Division Ministry of Health Malaysia, January 10, 2005 ). As such, the faculty justify this course offerings based on the needs and projections for skilled workers in the health sector, particularly in the field of laboratory medicine.
- To produce graduates who can provide quality services by applying knowledge, skills, medical ethics and concern.
- To produce graduates who are able to communicate effectively with the community and colleagues.
- To produce graduates who are involved as a member of the health team who are competent in the chosen discipline.
- To produce graduates who are interested and committed to the research and continuing education for career and personal development.
Duration of the programme
Duration of the course of this program is 3 years where each year consists of two semesters. Each semester consists of 14 weeks of learning. The minimum period for the completion of this program is 6 semesters, while the maximum period allowed is 10 semesters.
Employment opportunities that can be pursued by graduates in Medical Laboratory Technology are:
- Laboratory Medicine at government and private hospitals
- Medical laboratory technologist at public or private
- Research assistant
- Assistant scientific officer
Opportunities in furthering study
Students can continue their studies at a higher level such as, bachelors, masters and doctorate programs in the following areas: