BACHELOR OF NUTRITION SCIENCE (HONOURS)
Bachelor of Nutrition Science (Honours) program started to receive its pioneer group of student on 29th August 2016. The program have been given provisional accreditation status by MQA and full accreditation will commence in 2020. The recognition by MQA shows that this program was planned to attain the quality standard set by MQA and is in compliance with the MQF. In four year times, the students will take up basic medical sciences, nutrition, food sciences, and social sciences courses and conduct a research project as a requirement for graduation. They will also undergo 1000 hours of industrial training during their final year.
Program Educational Objectives
The Faculty’s Bachelor of Science in Nutrition (Honours) programme shall produce Nutritionists who are;
- Knowledgeable and technically competent in nutrition discipline in-line with the government and industry requirement.
- Effective in communication and demonstrate good leadership quality in an organization.
- Capable to solve community nutrition-related problems scientifically, creatively and ethically through sustainable approach.
- Able to demonstrate entrepreneurship skills and recognize the need of life-long learning in nutrition for successful career advancement.
Program Learning Outcomes
At the end of this programme, students will be able to;
- Acquire and apply knowledge of food, nutrition, clinical and social sciences in nutrition care process.
- Demonstrate comprehensive technical expertise in nutrition.
- Identify, formulate and provide evidence-based, creative and effective solution to nutrition-related problems.
- Communicate effectively both in written and spoken form with peers, healthcare professionals, community and the stakeholders at large.
- Function individually or in teams effectively, with a capability to be a leader in coordinating daily activities of nutrition services.
- Understand and commit professionally, ethically and with humane responsibility, in line with the nutritionist’s code of ethics and professional conduct.
- Recognize the need for and to engage in life-long learning, professional development and research by utilising ICT and information management system.
- Self-motivate and enhance entrepreneurship skills for career development.
- Realize and demonstrate effective leadership responsibility.
Duration of Program
The duration of the course for this program is 4 years which each year consists of two semesters. Each semester consists of 14 weeks of learning. The minimum period for the completion of this program is 8 semesters, while the maximum period allowed is 10 semester.
- Public Health Nutritionist
- Educator Nutritionist
- Community Nutritionist
- Research Nutritionist
- Sports Nutritionist
- Corporate/ Business Nutritionist