BACHELOR OF BIOMEDICAL SCIENCES (HONOURS)
Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences (Honours) programme at Faculty of Health Sciences of Universiti Sultan Zainal Abidin is a comprehensive programme which aims to enable the graduates to integrate a broad generic base of knowledge and skills in various fields affiliated to medical sciences and acquire competencies at an in-depth level in an area of choice. The program will also emphasize and equip the graduate with the skills needed for life-long learning, effective team work and scientific enquiry. The students are also equipped with knowledge of bioinformatics, bioethics, legal aspects of biomedical practice and entrepreneurial skills in order to prepare them for the future challenges.
The programme has been selected to by the university to be pioneer in implementing the integrated cumulative grade point average (ICGPA) that enforced by the ministry of higher education in line with Pelan Pembangunan Pendidikan Malaysia 2015-2025 in upbringing holistic graduates.
- Knowledgeable and technically competent in biomedical discipline in-line with the government and industry requirement.
- Effective in communication and demonstrate good leadership quality in an organization.
- Capable to solve community biomedical-related problems scientifically, creatively and ethically through sustainable approach.
- Able to demonstrate entrepreneurship skills and recognize the need of life-long learning in biomedical sciences for successful career advancement.
Duration of the programme
This 4 year program comprises of general education and core biomedical science courses with all courses being mandatory. Students are required to submit a research project as part of program requirement. During the two short semesters, the student is rotated to various laboratories and / or medical diagnostics industry to gain on the job experience under the close supervision of his/her supervisors which serves to provide opportunities to attain appropriate higher level skills before they enter independent practice as laboratory and/or research personnel.
Employment opportunities that can be pursued by graduates in Biomedical Sciences are:
- Clinical Biochemist
- Molecular Geneticist
- Forensic Scientist
- Research Scientist
- Research scientist
- Medical sales representative
- More related scientist
Opportunities in furthering study
Students can continue their studies at a higher level such as, masters and doctorate programs in the following areas:
- Forensic Science